Moroccan Chickpea Soup
Another great hit from BBC Good Food. This recipe has become one of my staples. It’s easy and quick to make, it’s super tasty and it’s really healthy.
What’s also great is that the bulk of these ingredients are ones you can keep for a long time in your pantry. I usually keep them on hand so that when I need a quick filling meal I can throw this one together. The beans mentioned below can be switched for any type. I usually use cannellini beans, but use whatever is on hand. Even baked beans would work. If you want to bulk it out, add more types of beans or celery or potato.
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried cumin
- 600 ml boiling water
- 1 chicken or veggie stock cube
- 400g canned chopped tomatoes
- 400g canned chickpeas
- 400g canned cannellini beans
- 1/2 lemon, zest and juice
- chopped coriander and parsley
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and garlic and fry until softened. Add the cumin and fry for another minute. Meanwhile, add the stock cube to the boiling water and stir.
- Turn up the heat, then add the stock, tomatoes and chickpeas, plus a good grind of black pepper. Simmer for 8 mins.
- Throw in the lemon juice and cook for a further 2 mins. Season to taste, then top with the lemon zest and chopped herbs.