Baby Spinach Salad with Pomegranate Seeds
Sometimes when I need to make something I simply type into Google the ingredients I want to use and see what comes up. In this particular instance I wanted to use pomegranate seeds, baby spinach and pine nuts. I ended up with this recipe from tastebook.com.
This salad tastes so fresh. The onion adds a sharp spicy quality and the dressing gives a slight sweetness. I added zest along with the juices. If you can’t find pomegranate seeds you could substitute with cranberries. This would be quite a different flavour, but would still taste nice and have the same colour effect.
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1 bag baby spinach
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Tbs orange juice
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons date syrup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- Toast the pine nuts in a pan on a medium heat. Once the pine nuts are fragrant and a little brown take them off the heat.
- Combine spinach, pomegranate seeds, onion and pine nuts in a bowl.
- Whisk the rest of the ingredients together.
- Just before serving add the dressing and toss the salad.